Today’s the last Sunday of the year. I was just grateful and I was really blessed with today’s Sunday service, it wasn’t the ordinary pastor-preaches-everyone-else-listens type of service (though I love those), today’s service was one of those that some members of the church talk about their year with God, what are the things they are thankful for and the times when they were really just in awe of God’s greatness. I really love hearing those stories and as I was listening to those people I started to think about how God worked in my life this year, how He proved Himself faithful, and how He showed me He loves me unconditionally.
I wanted to make a list of all the things He did for me this year. Then I thought; how can I ever be able to count the number of those moments? How can I ever be able to write down all the goodness my Creator has showered upon my life? How can I measure something so immense that no words can really be close enough to describe?
So I decided to list down just 5 most amazing moments I had with God for the last months: (I had a lot, a lot, a lot, and I am overwhelmed. Thank You, Lord!)
1. Salvation – So when this year started, I didn’t know Jesus. Okay, maybe I know He is God but I didn’t know Him personally. I had my own idea of who He is. I thought I was good and okay and that I’m not really as sinful and that my works can save me from death. When this year started, I don’t even know where I’ll go after death on this planet! June of this year, I started knowing who God is. I was able to surrender my life to Christ, to stop trusting in myself and turn to Him in everything, to trust Him with all my life. That was the best of the best-est decision I’ve made in my life. I started to fix my eyes on Jesus, and life has always been exciting. I have been made new! God gave me a new heart, a new life in Him and I am astonished!
But now in Christ Jesus you who once far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ. Ephesians 2:13
2. Forgiveness – As God forgave all my trespasses, He made me forgive others too. This felt like freedom. Really! I was drowning in a sea of resentments and anger then God made me realize that I would not be free if I would still hold on to these things. He forgave me; I need to forgive. I think the bondage of unforgiveness is not on the one you are not forgiving (though that would be a relief for them too if you forgive), but really it is you tangled up in it. Storing those feelings in your heart will never help you; it will just make you grow bitter and angry. When I finally decided to forgive, God threw off all the chains. Seriously, it feels like those moments when you start to see a glimpse of light after long hours of darkness; it feels like having a thorn literally pulled out from your heart. That was amazing. That was a one of His most wonderful miracles in my life. I never thought I’d be able to remove those things in my heart. Because of His love and because He forgave me, I was able to see the light.
3. Christmas – God reminded me of His great love for me this Christmas season. I really am in awe of how He was so humble, so loving and so good. I really can’t explain the feeling of understanding the true reason for Christmas. It also reminded me of God’s faithfulness to His people. I was really surprised when I learned about the prophet Isaiah’s prophecy about Jesus’ birth. That truly hit me because that was pretty indescribable. Amazing! God is faithful! He truly is! The birth of Jesus is proof!
4. Times of Battle – HA! I know it’s a bit odd to be thankful for tough times. It seems odd for me too. Then I realized that every time I am faced with a “battle” those are moments that I can see God clearly. Those battles are the times when I seek Him earnestly, and I grow closer and more deeply in love with Him. It’s not easy those times, and I have to admit how I still lack the faith at times but God is never ignorant of our cries. He is our ever present help in trouble. When times are hard, I seek Him and the comfort He gives is never ending, He fills me up with peace and love. He lets me know that He will never leave me and that He is in control. (Thank God He is in control!)
The Lord will give strength unto his people; the Lord will bless his people with peace. Psalm 29:11
5. People – I’m grateful for the people I’ve met this year. I’ve met tons and most of them are God’s children. I have been blessed with a lot of people to encourage me in my walk with God. I really thank God for them. I admire them for always having the time to hear my stories when I’m upset or when I’m overjoyed and for sharing their own experiences with me. I’m also really happy to see how they allow God to work in their lives and just be filled with the love of God. Really uplifting!
I have a lot more things to be thankful for this year. I really was grateful to bear witness of God’s amazing wonders and I just couldn’t wait for 2013!